IL Section ASCE YMG – Volunteer Opportunity – Chicago Architecture Center Engineering Fest
February 23 - February 24
Time: Shifts 9AM – 1PM or 12:30PM – 4:30PM
Place: Chicago Architecture Center (111 E Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601
Contact/RSVP: Tina Revzin (email@example.com) by February 1st
Volunteers needed!!! This year’s theme for the annual Engineering Festival is “Engineering The 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition”.
Come celebrate the 125th anniversary of the fair by taking part in numerous stations and activities, including:
DESIGN STUDIO/LECTURE HALL:
· Design the Midway – Gain a new perspective and explore our miniature model of the South Side’s Midway Plaisance park from a bird’s eye view.
· Build and test a Ferris Wheel – Mr. Ferris and his wheel became famous at the World’s Fair. Put your engineering skills to work and help make the wheel move!
· Meet an engineer – After building a Ferris Wheel, test your creation with a licensed engineer for feedback.
· Soil testing – Test various samples of soil and learn about the special engineering it took to build the 1893 World’s Fair on Chicago’s swampy ground.
· Out the window – The 1909 Plan of Chicago grew from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition and changed the way the city looked and operated. Take a look out the window and see some of the changes that owe their start to the world’s fair.
· Engineering Marvels – The immense size and speed at which the Fair was created is thanks to a unique engineering feat: the Three-Hinged arch. Learn about how the arch works and was used in almost every building at the Fair.